9 April 2014

Heart chakra- Anahata and easing the heart.


Heart is my H word                        Follow me on twitter @whitefielder
Actually the Heart chakra or Anahata chakra and how we can open any blocks in it simply through the Trikonasana or Triangle pose coupled with mindfulness.

                         Why have I chosen this chakra? It is the day for alphabet H no doubt but also we are creatures of emotion and the Heart chakra is the one that takes the most severe battering as we negotiate the ups and downs of life.

                           Have you felt a tightness/heaviness in and around the heart area when something has dealt you a crushing blow? This could be a harsh word, a hurt of any kind, anything that makes the emotional balance go awry. I know I have.

                           When I learnt about the Chakras and ways of easing them up I found that just by sitting with my eyes closed, aware of my inhale-exhale and keeping my focus on this knot of pain/unease it usually began to melt away. Greater the hurt-tighter the knot-more the time taken, of course.

                            When I miscarried in the fourth month, two times, each time I would wake up with a heavy heart and after my morning cuppa, sit and allow myself to be aware of it and nothing else. It took me at least a month each time to lighten the weight, but it did get progressively lighter and lighter.

                              Trikonasana is a standing asana of strength and expansion.
The arms-chest-lungs are all in expansion and so is the hip. Finger-tips of both hands are gently stretching away from each other. The picture below is from the anatomy.net site and if you look at it, you will see how well the chest region is stretched out. The coloured areas are of the muscles that are actively at work.

Any asana that expands the region that a chakra is located in is good for easing and opening up that region. So Asana-Dhyana(Mindful awareness) are the twin tools that support each other, always.

           Ideally work with an asana to stretch/ expand a particular region/regions and then sit down or lay yourself down in Shavasana for Dhyana and allow the awareness to flow from the Muladhara(base) chakra to the Sahasrara(crown)chakra and back in a loop.
With this I bid you bye for today, have yourself a lovely day and do come back tomorrow :)
                                                         Follow me on twitter @whitefielder


                                             The link below will take you to all the other blogs participating in the April blog challenge. There is a huge variety of theme and the bloggers have worked with great interest to bring you well written, interesting posts.

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/   
                                                        
                                                        
                                                     

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! Reading these made me refresh the memories of my yoga classes!!! Time to start with yoga regularly again!!

~S(t)ri
Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
Smile, it makes (y)our day!

Mina Menon said...

this asana will deinetely be close to my heart! Thank you for sharing....

Nabanita said...

Every day I send over your posts to my sister and she is loving them..She is more into yoga you know..So she is perfect for your writeups :)

Random Thoughts Naba

Jayanta said...

I save these for my daughter. These are really helpful..

Bhavya N said...

I am amazed at the things our body can do!

Ishithaa

Bhavya N said...

I am amazed at the things our body can do!

Ishithaa

Beloo Mehra said...

My asana teacher in the US used to emphasize on this asana, as part of the daily practice. The asana-dhyana routine that you speak of can be very helpful. Very informative post, once again! And I am sorry to hear about the painful times you had to go through.

Anonymous said...

Now I feel I should get into yoga...for a healthy body mind and soul....This is an informative post...

Sunila said...

Thanks u wonderful people.
Thanks Sri :)
Mina,tks thats sweet.
Naba thats gr8 hope she likes the posts :)
Jayanta, I'm impressed that your daughter reads them :)
Bhavya so true :)
Beloo that's gr8. Part of life,it's ok, Tks :)
Shelleymona, it would be lovely if u did do that :)

Unknown said...

Thas to you and our chat earlier, I have gone and signed up for Yoga classes. Do you think it will help me lose some flab too?

Shilpa Garg said...

I practice Reiki and have experienced the healing from pain and hurt when focusing on the Heart Chakra. This was an insightful post! Thanks for sharing, Sunila :)

Unknown said...

I have done this pose several times in yoga, but never paired it with purposeful easing of hurt. Thank you for this enlightenment.

Best regards,
Elizabeth

PS: Visiting from the A to Z Challenge

Unknown said...

Very interesting! I will have to read more into this amazing method of healing. ♥

Unknown said...

Oh, what a wonderful yoga mentor u are. This is perfect - I will soo impress my fellow yoga-exercisers with my new knowledge:-)Ha ha .. :-) Really Sunila, I m learning so much from your posts, and so enjoyable to read today about the chakras.

Sunila said...

Gauri thats is so so good to hear :) re: flab of course it will reduce but I have a post coming up on that too :D
Tks Shilpa, lovely to hear about your reiki practice
Elizabeth :) I know I was the same before I had the happy luck to attend Donna Farhi's workshop :)Tks.
Kathy, tks :) yes pls do I,m sure u will love it.
Eli :) ur r absolutely sweet,Tks :)

Indira said...

Heart rendering!!!Suni

Sreeja Praveen said...

Anahata !
There's a sloka in Lalitasahasranama where the Goddess is named, ' Anahataabja nilaya'.... I guess everything is linked with everything in the universe.... !

Please make a yoga e-book with all these articles !

Anonymous said...

Sunila, another brilliant one. I have bookmarked your blog so that I can follow you for a long long time. :)

Hiral said...

Never knew a way to relieve pain through this aasana...thanks for sharing.

Dr Genevive Angela said...

I have been practising yoga for the last 7 months, and am feeling very
good.. reading your posts has motivated me to continue.. I learnt when there was a camp at my colony, which was taught by baba ramadev's disciples. thank you for sharing !